Kenyan authorities have arrested the head of the National Youth Service as part of investigations into a $99-million theft of funds.
The youth agency official, Richard Ndubai, had been arrested, along with an unspecified number of officials, said Reuters on Monday.
Kenyan media have said 10 billion shillings ($99 million) had been stolen through fictitious invoices, and multiple payments on one supplier invoice, at the National Youth Service.
Reuters could not contact Ndubai, who is in custody, for comment, and was unable to immmediately trace contacts for his lawyer to seek comment.
In the new case, 20 people were taken into custody. On Tuesday, the suspects will be charged with various charges, including abuse of office.
Despite President Uhuru Kenyatta’s pledges to stamp out graft when he was first elected in 2013, critics say he has been slow to pursue top officials, adding that only big-name convictions will break what they call a culture of impunity.